Key battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Smart #1
#1brabus

Post by #1brabus »

I got stranded tonight, with the key working one second to refusing to respond the next - I managed to gain entry but the car wouldn't drive without detecting the key (which was in my hand!)

Testing the battery at home, it is as flat as a pancake. The second key barely has life in it either. Obviously this happens but given I've had the car six weeks or so, I was surprised to get caught out so soon.

The car also didn't seem to warn about a low key battery and it's been some time that I've had a car that doesn't have that feature (unless I'm missing it).

Just wondering if anyone else had seen issues with the key or if I'm the lucky one with duff batteries!

StephenA

Post by StephenA »

My first key batteries lasted about three months. The car did warn me two or three times and I have resolved to replace them on the first warning in future. I wasn't stranded thankfully. They are very easy to replace though.
Deleted User 204

Post by Deleted User 204 »

Yup, happened to me at the 10 day mark……replaced both and so far ok
#1brabus

Post by #1brabus »

StephenA wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:55 pm
My first key batteries lasted about three months. The car did warn me two or three times and I have resolved to replace them on the first warning in future. I wasn't stranded thankfully. They are very easy to replace though.
That's interesting - my car stayed schtum. How did it warn you?
beematthews

Post by beematthews »

Even if the key battery is flat, I would think that there would be a location (maybe in the centre console) where you could place the key and it would allow the car to start
StephenA

Post by StephenA »

#1brabus wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:56 am
StephenA wrote:
If I recall correctly, it gave me a notification on the driver's screen in the usual notifications spot on the far right, where the music and trip displays are.
StephenA

Post by StephenA »

beematthews wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:25 am
Even if the key battery is flat, I would think that there would be a location (maybe in the centre console) where you could place the key and it would allow the car to start
Yes, I've just looked at the manual and there is a section on what to do if the key battery is flat. The key goes into a spot in the central, closed storage box it seems.
StephenA

Post by StephenA »

StephenA wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:33 am
#1brabus wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:56 am
StephenA wrote:
If I recall correctly, it gave me a notification on the driver's screen in the usual notifications spot on the far right, where the music and trip displays are.
I've just looked at the manual and it talks about a message on the central screen.
REZadd

Post by REZadd »

Had my Premium over 5 months now and not had to replace the key batteries as yet.
Seems like keeping a spare battery in the glove box is the safest way forwards.
Deleted User 204

Post by Deleted User 204 »

REZadd wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:18 am
Had my Premium over 5 months now and not had to replace the key batteries as yet.
Seems like keeping a spare battery in the glove box is the safest way forwards.
👍And a suitable screwdriver for after you open the remote