Door handle issue

New to the Smart #1 Forums? Introduce yourself here
StephenA

Post by StephenA »

My car was in the dealership on 17th January with the faulty passenger door handle (it doesn't fully retract). The dealer ordered new parts that were said to be on back order. After four weeks I've just called and it seems that two parts are needed: a 'base' (not sure what that is) and a controller. The base has arrived but the controller is still awaited with no visibility about timescale. The handle still functions in terms of opening the door but the issue remains a frustration. It seems to be a widespread problem and a number of us on this forum appear to be experiencing it. Has anyone had a successful repair?

Deleted User 204

Post by Deleted User 204 »

Just booked mine in for 29th for them to “diagnose the fault”
StephenA

Post by StephenA »

Mine is in on 28th for the fix (just been contacted to book it in). Both parts have now arrived. Hopefully they ordered more than one set of parts in anticipation and therefore have parts in stock for yours. Mine have taken just over 4 weeks.
Deleted User 204

StephenA wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:20 pm
Mine is in on 28th for the fix (just been contacted to book it in). Both parts have now arrived. Hopefully they ordered more than one set of parts in anticipation and therefore have parts in stock for yours. Mine have taken just over 4 weeks.
👍
Milligoon

Post by Milligoon »

Can you ask the dealer if the parts are the same as the original or have they beefed them up?
StephenA

Post by StephenA »

Milligoon wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:17 am
Can you ask the dealer if the parts are the same as the original or have they beefed them up?
Will try to. However, the process tends towards no contact with the tech. Car is driven into a reception area, someone books you in, keys are taken and car is driven away. Collection is via a key storage locker.

I'll update shortly!
StephenA

Post by StephenA »

The handle repair was carried out today and all is fixed. I spoke with the technician and the parts involved are upgraded parts redesigned to ensure that the issue doesn't repeat. Hopefully, the remaining three handles behave!
Deleted User 204

StephenA wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:35 pm
The handle repair was carried out today and all is fixed. I spoke with the technician and the parts involved are upgraded parts redesigned to ensure that the issue doesn't repeat. Hopefully, the remaining three handles behave!
Great news 👍
I’m there tomorrow for first visit for them to confirm the fault ( apparently a video would not do👎) and I assume to order the parts
My nearside rear is now not fully closing as well
StephenA

Post by StephenA »

Cheshirecat wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:05 pm
StephenA wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:35 pm
Great news 👍
I’m there tomorrow for first visit for them to confirm the fault ( apparently a video would not do👎) and I assume to order the parts
My nearside rear is now not fully closing as well
Hopefully, your parts won't take as long as mine.
Deleted User 204

Update
Parts will be 2 to 4 days 👍
Unfortunately, as I want a courtesy car….thats 2-3 weeks away…..maybe planB