1 Week and Love/Hate - Plus a few questions

All Smart #1 related discussions
fewster

Post by fewster »

Now, I had a #1 premium for a week, and I can't make up my mind whether I love or hate the car.

I'm impressed with the ride and the included kit, and the quality feels very good; also comfortable and spacious for 4 (assuming you don't have loads of luggage), and the charging speed is also good.

However, there are some pretty annoying issues and things I don't yet understand. Let me know if you have any similar issues, solutions, or success in getting sorted with a dealer.

1) Completely over-the-top driver monitor safety system. The main two issues being
a) regular messages and sound alarms saying the camera is blocked (Including when I go around a roundabout and the steering wheel spoke moves in front of the camera)!
b) inability to turn this off other than for the current trip.
I have to say this system is more distracting and dangerous using than not

2) System resets online privacy setting option to off (every time I leave and lock the car) - I think this is the reason the app doesn't seem to show the current status, including the current charging status. Twice I have woken up in the morning, concerned car is not charged as showing <50% charge, even though the car was charged overnight back to 90%.

3) Ambient lighting - Driving home last night in the dark, throughout the journey, the interior lighting changed colours repeatedly. Can't work out why or how I stop this?

4) Range - Looks like the 200mile range I expected at this time of year is too hopeful probably move like 170

Recognise its a very new car and little info and a very limited user manual - so if you have any solutions to this or hints and tips please share

Milligoon

Post by Milligoon »

Monitoring systems unfortunately are part and parcel of the latest NCAP requirements, you'll just have to turn off the bagging at the start of each journey.

Online privacy, do you have the latest OTA update installed, there was talk about this on the German forum, and it along with a particular set of steps with the app may have alleviated it?

Ambient lighting effects you don't have a dual colour one selected do you?

Range, not got mine yet so can't comment on the real world range in winter.
REZadd

Post by REZadd »

I've had my #1 Premium for nearly 3 months now and I can see where you are coming from. I think I am at the stage where I love it more than I hate it.

Yes, the driver monitoring system also gets on my nerves - didn't know I could disable it each journey though, so will look for that next time I'm in the car.
The Online Privacy settings issue started with the OTA 1.3 update. I have yet to see a solution or update to fix that.
I haven't seen a setting to make the ambient lighting change colours. On mine I either set 2 colours, or 1 colour, but I think there is also the option to turn it off completely by pressing some of the colour options twice.
With regards to range, I find the faster the journey speed, the poorer the range, which I expect is the same for most EV's. Since buying my #1, which is my 1st EV, I have found myself driving slower than I used to in a fossil fuel powered car. I drive my #1 with E-Pedal permanently on, so I get as much regen braking as possible. I doubt I will need my brake discs or pads changing for a very long time :)

I will add the your list, the fact that certain alert noises interrupt, rather than merge with other announcements and indicator sounds. I hate it when something interrupts the indicator sound, cause I think I have stopped indicating.
fewster

Post by fewster »

Thanks for the replies. The E-Pedal definitely helps, and I love the one-pedal driving (I agree breaks should last forever). Hopefully, they can sort out the online privacy issue on an update soon. The ambient lighting is a strange one. I'm aware you can either set a single or dual theme. I have my one on the dual theme for an evening drive; the strange bit was it seemed to revert between two different colour schemes sporadically through the journey - I almost thought they corresponded to driving situations/warnings, but I will continue to monitor and try and work out.

Another issue is I seem to have lost the ability to say Hey Smart to activate voice recognition - The button on the wheel and tapping the fox still works - I can't seem to find an option in the menu yet to re-enable.
Axeman3D

Post by Axeman3D »

I've had my premium for a week now and it's the same with the assistance nonsense. I have to spend 5 minutes before every journey putting it into drive and sit holding the brake pedal while I go through menus disabling nonsense. I'm sure if my journey was a straight line on a US highway with perfect white lines it would be silent. Twisting unmarked backroads have the car losing its mind. Also surprised that 100% full seems to be about 205 miles when the range is supposedly closer to 275. Not sure if this is weather related or not. I assumed it would charge to 100% and say 275 then just burn through it quicker.

My issue is now that it won't charge. I have a 'slow charge' warning in the notifications which says it won't allow me to charge and to refer to my manual. There's nothing in the manual so I contacted the service support via email and had to send them screenshots and the VIN number. No response today. Good thing I haven't sold my petrol car yet.
Milligoon

Post by Milligoon »

The range issue appears to be a setting from what I saw today at the handover on the charging page select standard setting or dynamic setting, I think it's the way it calculates the remaining range, standard is just driving with stuff turned off and dynamic is what most people would actually use the car IE with nav Aircon on music etc, I guess eco driving mode doesn't turn everything off like on some other EVs? Selecting the driving mode doesn't alter the range setting or distance.
Axeman3D

Post by Axeman3D »

Hmmm. Another thing to play around with tomorrow then.
Axeman3D

Post by Axeman3D »

Hi again. Can I ask where you found the E-pedal setting because I sure as hell can't find it. In the manual it says it's in the vehicle settings but there's no sign of it in mine and the software says it's up to date. I did see something in a review that hinted you have to be in low regen mode for it to appear so I'll check that out but frankly I'm at a loss.
fewster

Post by fewster »

If you touch the fixed button at the bottom of the screen on the bottom right (car with cog) this should bring up a screen that then has the button for E-Pedal on the right of the screen.
Milligoon

Post by Milligoon »

20240103_171115.JPG

Cheers